Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Accoutrements

I have finally managed to take pictures (albeit crappy pictures) of the game board and cards involved. This should give you a better idea of the game as a whole.



 It's times like this I wish I had a legitimate camera instead of an iPad, which only takes optimal pictures if you have the right lighting. I have no idea what the right lighting is. I'm not a photographer.


I'm not entirely sure how clear these images will be for you and what may seem obvious to me may not be so for everyone so I will explain the game board a bit.

Here is the layout:

/-----------------Keep-----------------\
(+1 to D)
/    \
 Tower       -       Battlements    Battlements      -      Tower
(+2 to D)              (+1 to D)      (+1 to D)             (+2 to D)
/              /               \                \
Open Space  -  Open Space
Open Space - (High Ground)    (High Ground) - Open Space
/             \                                                    /             \
Open       Open                                            Open     Open
(Low Ground) (Low Ground)                          (Low Ground) (Low Ground)

And then the board mirrors from there.

Boy, I sure hope that shows up correctly in the post.

So essentially this is a series of spaces connected together by paths (represented by the lines as best I could) with their bonus text printed below in parentheses. The Keep connects to the Towers and Battlements, which in turn connect to open spaces and so on. Once you hit the middle of the board (made of four low ground spaces) the map mirrors itself, thus giving neither side a total advantage.

I think I failed to mention the High Ground/Low Ground rules in the rules post so I will do so here and update that when I get around to it. The High/Low Ground rules are designed to give players advantages and disadvantages in their attacks on the battlefield. If a space is labelled High Ground then there will be a bonus of +2 to your attack against a unit in a Low Ground space and a +1 bonus to your attack against a unit in an unlabeled or Mid Ground space (Note: the Keep, Battlements, and Towers on this map all count as High Ground and are labeled as such on the actual game board. I just didn't write them into the layout for spacing purposes.) As such, if you are attacking from a Low Ground space to a Mid or High Ground space you get a -1 or -2 penalty, respectively. If both the attacking and defending units are on spaces of the same level (i.e. High vs. High) there is no bonus or penalty.

The Cards:


The cards should be pretty self-explanatory if you have been keeping up with my posts. Their title is at the top, their stats are at the bottom, their drawings are incredibly derpy. Just as I am not a photographer I am also no artist.

The stats at the bottom list in the following order: Dispatch Cost, Attack, Defense.

You will notice there is a little inconsistency. Some cards list the Dispatch Cost as Dis and some cards have only two stats, which are Attack and Defense. This is a result of the constant changes the game has undergone during its development.

Much of this will probably be altered in a final product. One idea is to list the stats along two or more sides with a small icon to let you know what the stat represents. This concept would allow players to stack their cards in the most favorable position to limit board clutter and promote stack efficiency. It's something I worry about a lot.

Now that you have these key tools you should be able to easily replicate the actual game and I urge you to go and make it happen. Test it out! Let me know how it goes! If you have any concerns or you feel there should be an adjustment to rules or stats please let me know.

If you need a reference for stats of the individual cards and how many each deck should have please refer to  table 1.6.


No comments:

Post a Comment